Truth Or Dare Special – Part One
This week MadonnaTribe.com celebrates the 20th anniversary of Madonna’s Truth or Dare, the documentary film, first presented in May 1991 at the Cannes Film Festival.
The film, shot by Alec Keshishian behind the scenes of her 1990 Blond Ambition Tour, was one of the most successful “rockumentary” ever to be shown on a big screen. With a budget of $4.5 million the movie had a final box office of $29,012,935!
The full working title was “Turth Or Dare: On the Road, Behind the Scenes and In Bed with Madonna”. For the European and Japanese release the last part of the title was used… probably to make the film look even more controversial!
And now MadonnaTribe walks down memory lane with some of the artists involved in the movie…
Dancers Luis Camacho and Slam looking back at the film…
• MadonnaTribe: Looking back at the movie today do you think you have changed from your onscreen self?
Luis Camacho: The tour and the film definitely changed my life. I was just a naive kid from the lower east side of New York City. And now I like to think that I am more mature with a more stable head on my shoulders.
Slam: Well I haven’t really changed that much I am more mature of course, but the essence is still there. I was always very real, so I don’t see myself that different. I don’t party anymore! But I am still the same Slam.
• MadonnaTribe: And how was touring with the documentary crew?
Luis Camacho: It was all good until that knock on your hotel room door with a camera in your face.
• MadonnaTribe: Do you remember any funny episode that has been filmed by Alek Keshishian during the tour that did not make the final cut?
Luis Camacho: It wasn’t funny but a fierce performance. My drag performance in Spain when Madonna met Antonio Banderas for the first time.
Slam: That is kind of a hard question, given that we were being filmed 24/7 and so many things happened that were not included in the movie. But guess what ? I’ll Never Tell !
• MadonnaTribe: Which is your favourite moment in the film?
Luis Camacho: Our “kee kee” session with Slam was reading about Oliver and Madonna being lovers and the press thinking it was Slam.
Slam: My favorite scene in the movie is when we are in our dressing room with Jose and Luis, and we were keeeking and reading what was being published in magazines, and Madonna comes in kind of pissed because Oliver was missing and we were always picking on him telling us that “He didn’t have the survival skills that we did” keee, keee, keee, keee, kee!
Madonnatribe’s Truth or Dare Q&A with dancer Oliver Crumes
• MadonnaTribe: Hi Oliver, welcome to MadonnaTribe.
When is the last time you watched the movie? Do you enjoy watching it today?
Oliver Crumes: The last time I watched the movie was when it aired on TV about 5 months ago. Only saw bits and pieces of it. I still enjoy watching it.
• MadonnaTribe: When you watch the movie do you feel like it all seems like done yesterday or do you feel the 20 years that have passed?
Oliver Crumes: It still feels like yesterday
• MadonnaTribe: If you had to pick up two best scenes from the movie, one overall and one in which you are featured, what they would be?
Oliver Crumes: Overall best scene would have to be at the end of the tour when we are all saying goodbye to her. Scene where I was featured would be the POLE scene.
• MadonnaTribe: Describe Truth Or Dare in one word
Oliver Crumes: TIMELESS would describe truth or dare in one word
• MadonnaTribe: Was it unconfortable having the film crew filming all the time and how was it working with Alec Keshishian?
Oliver Crumes: It got to the point during filming where it felt like the cameras werent even there. It was cool working with Alec.
• MadonnaTribe: Can you tell us about a scene that was cut that you really hoped would have made the final film.
Oliver Crumes: There are several: The day she came to my house to meet my mom, and she came to my dance class I was teaching in L.A., when she threw my birthday party for me in L.A., and the MTV awards when I looked up her dress during performance and everyone in audience went OOOHHHH.
• MadonnaTribe: Oliver, Truth or Dare?
Oliver Crumes: …TRUTH!
Check back tomorrow for more Truth or Dare memories!