Truth Or Dare Special – Part Five
MadonnaTribe keeps on celebrating the 20th anniversary of Truth Or Dare this week indulging in memories!
Today we chat with MTribe‘s longtime friend Donna De Lory about watching the film again after 20 years.
MadonnaTribe meets Donna De Lory
• MadonnaTribe: Hello Donna, welcome back to MadonnaTribe. So when is the last time you watched Truth or Dare? Do you enjoy watching it today?
Donna De Lory: Hi guys, I just watched the movie two weeks ago when I was asked to do an interview for a television special here in the US. They are featuring the greatest documentaries of the last 20 years. I hadn’t watched it in many years and it was funny to go back in time and relive the tour. I loved the performance footage most of all and what I am most proud of… It’s the only part that I would show my children.
• MadonnaTribe: When you watch the movie do you feel like it seems done yesterday or do you feel the 20 years that has indeed passed?
Donna De Lory: It feels like 20 years has passed…feels like many lifetimes ago. We have
all changed so much, natural evolution I guess.
• MadonnaTribe: If you had to pick up two best scenes from the movie, one overall and
one in which you are featured, what they would be?
Donna De Lory: I love it when Madonna was talking to Niki and I and telling us how she
wonders what we think of her, sometimes how she admits her insecurity about
not being the greatest singer and what we must think of her.
Then she says
that we can have the success if we really want it. Niki says she doesn’t
know if she wants it and I remember thinking well I do!!! You could really
feel the “big sister” relationship that we had!! A few months after that
Madonna gave me her song “Just a Dream” to record on my firstCD. She was very
supportive of us at that time!!!
• MadonnaTribe: Describe Truth Or Dare in one word
Donna De Lory: Revealing
• MadonnaTribe: Was it uncomfortable having the film crew filming all the time and how was it working with Alec Keshishian?
Donna De Lory: It was uncomfortable at first and then two months in, we had forgotten the
camera’s were there and hoped when we saw the film that our most personal
secrets were not in the final cut!!!
I was also friends with the crew so we
had a lot of fun hanging out when we had time off. Alec was one of us one of
the gang and it was fun having him around and Madonna really loved him too.
• MadonnaTribe: Your Belinda Carlisle impersonation in the movie was really fun… you
also toured as a vocalist with her, did she ever tell you anything
about that film clip?
Donna De Lory: I toured with her before then and she did take offense to that scene. When I
was little I used to do that singing Stevie Nicks songs from Fleetwood Mac.
I loved her as a singer and still had my friend beat on my back as I would
sing just for fun. I don’t mean to make fun of anyone and people should
realize that imitation is a form of flattery!!! I think she is over it
• MadonnaTribe: Can you tell us about a scene that was cut that you really hoped would have made the final film.
Donna De Lory: Just more personal interviews with the group that were not used!!
• MadonnaTribe: Speaking about recent thing you have done, you recently sang Papa Don’t Preach in a cameo role in the film “The Switch” with Jennifer Aniston. What was it like singing that song.. What kind of memories did it bring back?
Donna De Lory: It was fun!! I just sang the chorus lead and harmonies and the producer said
sing it like you would sing it but I was so used to how Madonna sang it that
it was challenging to put my own spin on it. I think I rocked it out a bit.
It’s funny because I also sang on the original demo when another artist was
singing it before Madonna found the song.
• MadonnaTribe: Donna, Truth or Dare?
Donna De Lory: Truth…..I hardly took the dares, not with that group!!!!
• MadonnaTribe: Before leaving, do you have a message for fans?
Donna De Lory: Thank you to all of the fans out there for all of
your support through the years. I hope to see you when I am on tour with my
band this summer. Speaking of my music, you can go to itunes and look for
new music as well as signing up for my newsletter on my site donnadelory.com!!
Peace and blessings to you always!!!
• MadonnaTribe: Thanks Donna, see you soon