UK Year end chart figures and positions
The official end of year charts have been published this week for the UK music industry – and there’s lots of numbers and sale figures to look at! Here it goes:
• Madonna’s “Sorry” was the 8th most played song on UK radio in 2006 with 35,668 plays and an audience of 909,522,000.
• “Hung Up” was the 40th most played with 25,456 spins and an audience of 525,329,000.Considering it had its peak audeinces in the 10 weeks prior to 2006 that is pretty damn good!
• “Sorry” was also the 18th most played song on TV with 4,631 plays. It was the 11th most played on MTV and “Get Together” was the 17th most played there.
• On the singles sales chart “Sorry” was the 44nd best seller while “Hung Up” was the 63rd.
• Overall Madona was the 16th best selling singles artist, selling 340,000 singles.
• In the album sales “Confessions On A Dance Floor” was the 46th best selling album shifting round about 400,000 copies in 2006.
Overall Madonna was the 24th best selling album artist in 2006 selling 710,000 albums.
Only 9 artists appear in both the top 25 artist charts for singles and albums.
Madonna is the only artsist to appear in both the top 25 best selling artist singles and albums chart for 2005 and 2006! She is the Queen!
• “The Immaculate Collection” was the 110th best selling album of the year selling 174,000 copies and was the 2nd best selling catalogue album of 2006 (albums more than 2 years old) The number one catalogue album was forty licks by the rolling stones which sold 181,000 copies after a tv advertising campaign.
• “I’m Going To Tell You A Secret” was the 39th best selling music dvd which sold about 23,000.
• In the club charts “Sorry” was number 18 on the upfront club chart while jump was 28. In the pop top 40 club chart “Sorry” was number 2 and get together was 33.
Overall it has been an amazing year for the Queen again in the UK – She rules. And we love her!
Written by Brian Welsh.