A chat with Giovanni Bianco, creator of re-Invention graphics
MadonnaTribe’s friend Fernando Scopadore, webmaster of fellow fansite MadonnaOnline Brazil, a few months ago has had the chance to interview graphic designer Giovanni Bianco, who worked on the logo and artworks of the re-Invention tour.
Back in 2005, Fernando prepared, exclusively for MadonnaTribe’s readers, an English translation from Portuguese of this interesting interview, that we’re happy to bring back to you this year from the vaults of MadonnaTribe’s 2005 Archives.
• Question: How did your envolvement with Madonna begin?
Answer: In 2003 Steven Klein invited me to work on the graphic concept for “W” Magazine, as well as on the “X-STaTIC Pro=CeSS” book. Last year, he invited me to work on the video of ‘Vogue’ that was shown during the ‘Re-Invention
Tour’. Caresse Henry, then asked me to do the graphic concepts for the re-INVENTION TOUR.
• Q: How was your relationship with Madonna during your creative process? Did
she give you instructions to follow, did you have freedom to work?
give you any directions during your work?
A: Madonna gave me a big contribuition during all the process. She wants to control every aspect of her career, but in a nice way. She knows what she
wants first of all, but she’s always stimulating and giving precious
• Q: Did you have any influence from Madonna’s previous projects such as books,
albums, etc… ? What do you think about her?
A: I have always been a huge Madonna fan. I try to read about every piece of work that I do , looking for influences, and, of course, be sure that I am
gathering as much information as possible. Madonna has always had a big
influence on my work and, therefore, I know everything about her career moves. Everything is so amazing! She is my biggest inspiration. She’s pure inspiration for me!
• Q: Speaking about your work on re-INVENTION TOUR book, we can notice especially in the ‘logo’ some Kabbalah References. Did Madonna ask you about something like that?
A: I had freedom to create what I was planning. I was following my instintcs,
first of all. But, when I had my first meetings with Caresse Henry, she gave many precious tips about Madonna’s ‘likes and deslikes’. I have a dear friend who studies Kabbalah as well, she’s a famous journalist from Brazil called Joyce Pscovich, so, I went to some ‘Kabbalah Classes’ with her and I had some inspiration from those classes and some help from my friend.
• Q: We can see loads of ‘birds’ in the tour book… What’s the meaning of those?
A: Madonna asked me to use those bird images in the book. My idea was to use them in the logo. Birds can mean different things such as power and
freedom. This is the idea behind this concept.
• Q: There is one particular picture that has changed 3 times. Madonna’s body is the same in every shot but her head changes. Is there any meaning behind this?
A: Absolutely not. Madonna really likes the ‘Maria Antonietta’ wig, and that
golden shirt was very nice as well. Just because of that, I think
• Q: Are there many pictures missing in the RIT tour book? Do you know If one
day they will be used in other projects?
A: Yes, there are hundreds of pictures that weren’t used, unfortunately. I
believe, if necessary, they can be used in other projects in the future.
• Q: Did you change your mind about Madonna after working for her? Can you tell
us about your impressions before and after being part of ‘Madonna’s
A: My respect for her increased 3 times more! I used to respect her as a fan,
now I respect her professional side. Madonna is Madonna, simply!
• What do you think about Madonna as ‘boss’? Is she ‘down to earth’ or she’s
acts like a Diva?
A: Both Madonna and Caresse and all her assistants were the most professional
team that I have ever worked for.
• Can you tell us your opinion about the re-Invention tour? What’s your Madonna’s favourite concert?
A: I thing RIT was GREAT!! I really love all Madonna’s world tours, but
re-Invention have got a special place in my heart.
• Q: Do you have any involvement in the release of the tour’s dvd? What can we expect from this release?
A: Unfortunately guys, I dont know anything about Madonna’s next projects. My job is done by now.
• Q: What are your new projects?
A: 2004 was great for me. My favourite jobs were working with Brad Pitt for
L’uomo Vogue, a book which I did the concept (Nike) and so many projects
about fashion such as D&G, Dsquared, MaxMara, Pepe Jeans, etc…
From now on, I am starting work on Jeramy Scott’s new book and I am doing something for Steven Klen again. Its a book about horses…
• Q: What other performer would you like to work for?
A: The biggest dream of my life is to work for Maria Bethania (Brazilian
singer). This is a dream that I am trying to make it come true.
I also would love to work again with another Brazilian Diva called Marisa Monte, she is one of the most talented women that I have ever worked for. There is another brazilian Diva that I would love to do some work, she is the amazing Mari Aydar. Ahh, Justin Timberlake is on the top of my list!. I
think Justin is great! I wish Madonna called me again as well!
This interview was originally published in Portuguese on Madonna Online Brazil and translated into English for MadonnaTribe on May 06, 2005
Special thanks to Fernando Scopadore