‘Confessions’ is Double Platinum in Europe
The hotly anticipated new album from Madonna, “Confessions On A Dance Floor“, has sold a remarkable two million copies across Europe within its first two weeks of release, the IFPI reports.
This is yet another top-seller from the 47-year-old, who continues to thrill fans with her energetic performances and rejuvenated sounds. This album marks a return to her disco roots, and the first single release “Hung Up” – featuring a rarely granted Abba sample – is a hit across Europe.
Albums published after January 1, 1994 are the only ones eligible for the European Platinum Award. Madonna has a stunning 24 Platinum discs throughout Europe with eight albums, starting with “Bedtime Stories”, and ranks as the second female artist following Celine Dion with 34 Platinums and nine albums.
Title/Year of certification
• Bedtime Stories: 2xPlatinum (2,000,000) (1998)
• Something to Remember: 3xPlatinum (3,000,000) (1997)
• Evita: 2xPlatinum (2,000,000) (1997)
• Ray of Light: 7xPlatinum (7,000,000) (2002)
• Music: 5xPlatinum (5,000,000) (2002)
• GHV2: 2xPlatinum (2,000,000) (2001)
• American Life: 1xPlatinum (1,000,000) (2003)
• Confessions On A Dance Floor: 2xPlatinum (2,000,000) (2005)
Source: IFPI – International Federation of the Phonographic Industry