(De)Tales From the PIT, June 6 San Jose, CA
“I was lucky enough to win pit passes from mtv.com for Sunday’s show in San Jose, CA and thought I would share my experience with all you, even though I am mostly a lurker ’round these parts. I will try to be detailed while keeping the spoilers to a minimum.
I had never seen Madonna live before and OMG, what a way to pop my cherry!! It was absolutely surreal. About 15 minutes before the show started, I was so nervous I could not even talk! When I first saw Madonna on the stage, it was hard to believe she was even a real person!
She is so amazingly beautiful! Skin like porcelain, rippling muscles, amazing moves, cat-like eyes, phew…Every time she walked by the pit or even looked at us, my heart was POUNDING!!! She did look at me for a split second and I thought I’d have a heart attack on the spot.”
Please click on Full Article to go on reading this review from the pit by our Forum member tonifromca – toni, thanks a lot for sharing your tour experience with the Tribe!
Her dancers also gave us a lot of attention which was amazingly cool!!!!
Before we were brought in, the touring director told us about a dozen times that we need to dance and be really high-energy to “inspire” the dancers and Madonna. Unfortunately, some of the party poopers in my pit did not hold up their end of the bargain. There were a couple people who stood in the front and did not even dance – WTF?? Crazy! One of them even gave me a dirty look for screaming in her ear!
Even though my feet were killing me, I made sure to jump up and down for my favorite dancers when they shimmied by us. I wore high heeled boots so ensure that I had a good view – MISTAKE! There is no such thing as a bad view from the pit. Since the stage is so high, we were able see almost everything!! Donna gave our side a lot of attention, she is soooo pretty.
At one point Siedah walked by and gave us this “attitude” pose, it was hilarious! She looked so scary! LOL!!
Another highlight was when Michael McKnight (keyboard player) walked by – I love this man, so I started jumping up and down and screaming for him. He smiled at me in appreciation, what an angel! Monte Pittman (guitarist) threw a couple of guitar picks in our pit too!! The first one bounced off my bosom!!! It happened so fast and I didn’t know he was going to throw it, so unfortunately, it hit the ground and someone else got it.
Now… Madonna….what a tease!!! She kept walking by the pit, knowing we all wanted a little touch!
She kept giving us that flirty look and we never knew when she would reach over and touch one of us! For the most part, everyone in the pit was polite until Madonna walked by – then it was a sardine can! Out of the 18 or so people in the pit, about 4 people got touched by Madonna (two at a time.) I was not one of them, but I’m happy for the ones that were. They were glowing!!
My throat hurts from screaming and my feet have blisters, but I am in bliss right now! What an amazing experience.
If you happen to win pit passes, here are some things you should know:
– Decide who you want to bring right away! They only give you a short amount of time to figure it out and then get you and your guest to sign/fax the release form.
– Don’t sweat about the view…there is no such thing as bad view down there.
– Do NOT bring a camera! There are at least two security guards IN the pit with you, and they watch you like HAWKS! I am not kidding.
– Don’t lean over and touch the stage or the dancers’ space! One guy in our group leaned over the plexiglass too far, and the security guard pulled him aside and gave him a good talking-to. They don’t have a sense of humor about that stuff.
– You are not “trapped” once you are in the pit. Once they show you to the pit, you can come and go as you please.
– You can’t bring drinks into the pit, not even a bottle of water! I was so parched I wanted to lick the sweat off someone.
– There is no place to put your stuff, coat, purse, etc. Use your pockets or be a geek and wear a fanny pack.
– Two words: comfortable shoes. Once you get in the line to pick up your tix, you will be standing the rest of the night.
Last but not least– if there’s anything you want Madonna to know, SCREAM IT! When she stops for water between songs it is quiet onstage and she can hear everything you say!!!
Believe it or not, there are some down sides to being in the pit. First, the no-water rule sucks. Secondly, the sound is very odd up there for some reason. I was able to hear Madonna sing, but I didn’t really hear the music properly.
Weird. Also, if you want to really dance it up, well, you are bound to step on some toes. I felt bad because I kept stomping on others feet, lol! Ok, well maybe I didn’t feel that bad.
Special thanks to MadonnaTribe Forum member tonifromca